Sunday, January 24, 2016

TRADITIONS (DISNEY STYLE)


Disney Traditions is eagerly awaited by every Cast Member in the Disney College Program. We receive two special mementos of our storybook journey. I am not going to reveal them right now, that would be a spoiler and what would be the point of reading this blog post?

While my one roommate Michael had his Traditions on Friday at 2:30, JC (my other roommate, see this blog has continuity) and I were scheduled for Saturday exactly 24 hours later. We departed for the bus stop with plenty of time to spare. Unfortunately, JC had forgotten his yellow paper for Traditions and scurried back to the apartment to retrieve it. However, while the bus was supposed to leave at 1:30, our bus driver with NASCAR speed, entered the bus, gunned the motor and zoomed out of Chatham at 1:22. I was texting a friend at this point and I never got the chance to ask the bus driver to wait. I collected JC’s other material and prayed that he could find a way to make it.

Like for Casting, the bus took us past the main gate where Mickey and Minnie were waiting with welcoming waves. Now, in the forward tradition of the company, massive construction was present as an apparent widening of the roads was happening. It certainly dispelled a little of the magic. My close friend Mark Frederick messaged me to rant about his snow woes. Elsa had visited him with around 18 inches of feathery sleet. I responded with a picture of the deceiving sunny weather. It looked balmy, but the temperature hovered around 45 degrees. He did not appreciate the picture.

The bus took us past the Contemporary Resort and the Magic Kingdom to the building that housed Disney University. Massive parking lots where the employees parked were located there. Remember, we do not commute by pixie dust. We limbered off the bus and entered into the Disney themed building. Like the Casting building, the walls were decorated with milestones. When you have as much success as we do at Disney, a little showing off is required and understood. They called out our groups and we processed into our rooms where each individual name appeared on mouse ears on the TV screen.

On each table was a giant red box with a Mickey Mouse ear themed ribbon. We were explicitly told not to open the box. Self-control won out over primeval desire. To pass the time until we start at 2:30, the moderators played a game of Disney Trivia. Intensity, I cracked my knuckles and stretched out my arms in anticipation of victory. Disney Trivia: an event that combines two of my favorite activities: Disney and scholastic trivia. The MVP in me reemerged. The first few questions were distinctly amateur hour and I did not bother answering them. Let the others feed on low hanging fruit. (Yes, I am an elitist when it comes to Disney) But when the moderator asked: “Which two characters made their appearance in Steamboat Willie? My hand shot up on appearance. A reader might be thinking that what an easy question. However, I am the world’s biggest Mickey Mouse fan and it was my obligation to answer it. For my correct answer, I received a pin. Other questions went by without my attendance. I figured it was only fair to let others win. But when no one could finish the answer to “Which two characters made their debut in the Imagination ride in EPCOT?”, I had to step in. Someone correctly answered the popular half of the duo, Figment, but I coolly stated “Dreamfinder” for the other half. I gave away the duplicate pin.

After playing finish the lyric to a song, we moved on to “Stomp the Moderator.” I asked my preferred question “Who scripted and drew the Mickey Mouse Comic Strip for nearly 45 years?” Both Brittany and Michael (the moderators) scratched their brains hoping for a nugget. Eventually, after the fruitless struggle concluded, they requested the answer. I gave the name Floyd Gottfredson. I explained how he wanted to be an animator and that Walt himself told me to take over the strip for only two weeks on a temporary basis. As in great Disney tradition, those two weeks turned into 45 years of adventure and laughs. I informed everyone that they were being reprinted. Well, Mr. Gottfredson, I released your name to them. Hopefully, they take the initiative.

2:30 arrived and the session started with the requisite safety video. Safety is a main concern at Disney as we are responsible for millions of guests and thousands of Cast Members. We were shown a video starring Bob Iger, the CEO and Leader of the Club and he explained to us our great opportunity and duty.  Next, Michael asked us why we were here. I swiftly whipped my hand and said I was here to make magic for others. He nodded and said it was a great answer. To my astonishment, I was handed a Mickey Mouse figure. He took a few more answers and went on to explain our own language used at Disney. We put on a show so we use a different language to grasp our jobs.

The theme of Traditions was that continuously stressed (outside of safety) was We Create Happiness. As sappy as it appears in many people’s minds, Disney is in the business of pushing optimism and creating happy endings. We overwhelmingly prefer fantasy over realism. To prove the point, we watch videos of kids learning that they were going to Disney. I honestly say, if you watched those videos and felt nothing, you have no soul.  The pure joy and unrestricted words brought me to tears. Every kid deserves that chance and everyone deserves the best vacation when they enter Disney’s gates.

Brittany and Michael shared a couple heartwarming stories about creating Happiness. Michael worked at Splash Mountain and once a Cinderella dressed girl rode Splash Mountain while sitting in the front row. Of course, the water descended upon her form and messed up her makeup and dress. Her older brother mercilessly teased her and Michael just said in his Frontierland lingo: “Howdy Princess.” With those TWO words as he emphasized, she recovered her spunk and informed her teasing sibling that “I’m still a princess.”

Brittany told a touching story that was very similar to Up. She worked at a reservationist and an older man walked up to make reservations at the Brown Derby at MGM, er Hollywood Studios. She, using the personal connection, noticed his expansive pin collection. He admitted that he was missing the Grape Soda pin based off the badge Ellie gave Carl in Up. He revealed that his wife had recently died. Now, I am going to introduce my own theological slant, Brittany could have just expressed some sympathy and said a prayer (if she was inclined that way) but going the second mile she hurried to a pin stand, got the Grape Soda pin, alerted the Brown Derby staff and rearranged for the pin to put on the plate. The next day, the old man went up to her desk and asked if she did the deed. She admitted that she had. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and said that he felt like his wife was there.

I will be truthful. I do not know if I will be able to create magic on that same level, but I sure can try and as Michael or Brittany said not every day will be super magical, but you will be renewed by guests and coworkers.

They asked us then to all put our hands on the red box and open it up. We did so and found mouse ears waiting. Michael and Brittany said that they wished we could see our faces as we grabbed  our gift. We were told that while other companies say “big shoes to fill”, Disney says “big ears to fill.” A pity, I have big feet than ears. ;)

After a short break, we were told that we could go to the Magic Kingdom to see Cast Members in action or we could write a 39 page journal. I am a born contrarian, so I voted for the journal. Fortunately, Michael ignored my attempt at being clever. We were divided up into teams. My team became the hero side. Unfortunately, our team name ended up being Hercules. I wanted Mickey Mouse. Sorry, Mickey. The villain team was named Maleficent. Since I was the tallest there, I was tasked with being the caboose of our train. As with was a visit to the Magic Kingdom and not a march into enemy area (Universal Studios), I was safe from being snatched.

We boarded transportation and arrived at the mythical Magic Kingdom tunnels. Needless to say, I will not reveal any of the magical details but I must have had the biggest grin on as my eyes captured everything. We pushed open a door and strolled onto Main Street. It was tough being a caboose when navigating Main Street. Yesterday was very cold and Disney guests should not have to wear sweatshirts and winter jackets at Disney. We made our way to the castle and were allowed to take some pictures.

We did a 180 around the castle and marched past the tea cups and Cosmic Ray’s while maintaining our train movement. Our caravan finally halted at the Carousal and was instructed to go out in groups and watch Cast Members in action. My gang migrated to the Small World. While there, a guest approached us and asked if we worked here. We all answered in a few days, but we decided to hear her out. She explained that her stroller was stolen and did that mean she was required to pay for it. I suggested that she find Guest Services and explain her situation.

Following our helpful task, we met up with our team and returned to the tunnels. A quick ride later, we returned to Disney University and were surprised by a special guest. The Big Cheese himself Mickey Mouse arrived to the marvelous tune of The Mickey Mouse Club March shaking a big gold present. He opened the box to reveal our nametags which Michael informed us that Mickey sprinkled a little extra pixie dust on. He called out the first name and it was yours truly! That was a blessed moment and no they were not in alphabetical order. J
The handout was completed and Mickey left to continue running the park. I was officially part of the Disney family and I had a nametag to prove my allegiance to the Club. Brittany and Michael shared the secret motion for Tradition members to greet each other and said they hoped to see us in the parks. They dismissed us and I reunited JC (I did not forget about my buddy) who managed to catch another bus to Traditions.
Now I cannot wait to start working and hit the parks! Magic making time. As Michael explained it can be hard to work at Disney World. We work while everyone else has fun and their vacation time. But it is truly rewarding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment