Thursday, January 21, 2016

FIRST DAY AT DISNEY!




I awoke that morning with a flutter of nerves and excitement jostling for control in my stomach. Disney, as always, brings me large amounts of joy and fears of unrealized expectations. Like anything you love does. We, and others, tell ourselves not to fear. After all, what is checking out to your dream compared to fighting Maleficent? Actually, they are very similar concepts and they arise out of trepidation of disappointment. There is no greater pain than a broken dream. However, one must chase the dream or suffer brokenness without trying and that regretful blow stings more than an attempt.

Continental breakfast at Comfort Inn, if not Waffle House quality, would have been a fine start to the start of the day if I could have choked down more than a few scoops of Frosted Flakes and pancake shaped eggs. Alas, my stomach did not allow admittance too much breakfast. However, I added enough to starve off hunger until lunch. I packed the remaining articles gathered on the floor and headed to my family’s waiting car.

It was a solemn trip to the Vista complex. We left early as to avoid expected traffic shortage since the trip to Steak n Shake the night before was filled with Radiator Springs red lights, Space Mountain length lines and Cruella De Vil inspired drivers. However, this morning the commute was quiet as a midnight parking lot. Thus, we arrived nearly 25 minutes early for my arrival time and were instructed to wait in the parking lot across the street. I felt like a peasant awaiting the opening of the castle’s gates. The prize was just out of my reach dangling on a fishing pole like in the State Farm commercial.

Finally, 9:15 ticked on the car’s clock and I crossed the gates to a secular promised land. The drop off area required all right turns guided by typical Disney quality signs. Sadly, they were lacking mouse ears. L I took a temporary departure from my family and slipped into the long line. Fortunately, my Christmas present of a Mickey Mouse fleece kept me warm amid the Pennsylvania like winds. At the beginning of my sojourn in line, I was unable to make any small talk or friends as the helpful, upbeat Cast Members were encouraging us to do so. I have always lacked that ability to establish a friendly conversation. The gift of gab exists only in my head and writing. Snappy dialogue falters with my stumbling pronunciations. Still, I kept at despite this rhyme sounding throughout my head “I gave it my best try/but I am not a speakeasy guy.” I managed to chat with a friendly fellow from Georgia. The Peach State certainly exports many peachy people.

The wait to receive your magic bringing assignment leaves you trembling with excitement. My dream placement was Pecos Bill’s in Frontierland in Magic Kingdom. I have many fond memories of that restaurant since my family always ate there on our previous trips. I am a nostalgic fellow. Plus, I love the Pecos Bill’s segment in Melody Time. Apparently, the Good Lord and Mickey knew better as my mission is in Tomorrowland at Cosmic Ray’s. At least, I am still in the Magic Kingdom, the hub of magic.

After receiving my assignment, I was ushered into a room where they take your photo for your housing ID. I managed to etch out a good smile. Then, I was directed to the line for my housing placement. Disney does an incredible job at organizing thousands of eager and nervous candidates. The assembly line method works for more than just cars and fast food. My room was Chatham #14032, a peaceful place with the terrain of Fort Wilderness Campground.

My family helped me move into my abode for the next few months. It is a spacious set up with a roomy bedroom, wide bathroom, a furnished kitchen and a balmy balcony. I met my two roommates JC and Michael, both of whom hail from the Windy City. That is a huge contrast to this rural resident. However, we and our families instantly got along. Disney magic can do that to strangers.

After unpacking my many suitcases and backpacks, we drove to Wal-Mart for a few last minute necessities (like toilet paper and paper towels) to complete the feeling of home. One picture and tearful good-byes were shared as my family needed to return home for jobs and college. I left them with a “see ya real soon.” We, at Disney, never say good bye. That implies that we will never meet again.
                                                                   
It was a great first day mixed with excitement, sadness and nerves. Just like a Disney movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment